Plant Experiments again + Welcome Back
As usual to those who know me well, I am famous for the amount of plants on my study table in my own room. Last year I was doing experiments with a common mint plant and their potiential to swamp pots (like weeds). Conclusion was it was under some plant fertiliser because it was not as succesful as I thought, but I now discovered I did something wrong. Because I wanted to see a bushy mint plant, I didn't prune it or pinch the tips. So therefore here is my 2nd experiment involving another type of plant, which I am not sure what it is because I couldnt really identify it.
I placed the plants in glass containers of water in which there are marbles for stability. I let them grow their adventitious roots for 2 weeks in which they would start to grow new leafs from their apical meristems. I used a total of 4 cuttings from the mother plant. At the first day of the third week I removed the terminal apical meristem of 2 of the stalks just before the auxillary buds. The reason I did this is to see whether the plant would "branch" by this method so I could achieve a "bushy" plant instead of a tall spindly one. Now is week 5 and there have been no results on the 2 pinched plants of mine although the auxillary buds near the cut off point seems to have grown only slightly bigger than the rest at the lower nodes.
Its so fun to do these things and having the liberty to conduct such explorations in my own room. If this is successful, I will buy another mint plant to try my luck.
Welcome back my friend Peishan who seems to have redone her blog, her link was broken a while back btw. Its a nice clean not so dark blog skin... which is good. I havent changed my blogskin for ... 2 years now or more.
I like to keep things simple and easy to read. Its good to blog because you can read back what happened one year ago and reminicence the past.
I placed the plants in glass containers of water in which there are marbles for stability. I let them grow their adventitious roots for 2 weeks in which they would start to grow new leafs from their apical meristems. I used a total of 4 cuttings from the mother plant. At the first day of the third week I removed the terminal apical meristem of 2 of the stalks just before the auxillary buds. The reason I did this is to see whether the plant would "branch" by this method so I could achieve a "bushy" plant instead of a tall spindly one. Now is week 5 and there have been no results on the 2 pinched plants of mine although the auxillary buds near the cut off point seems to have grown only slightly bigger than the rest at the lower nodes.
Its so fun to do these things and having the liberty to conduct such explorations in my own room. If this is successful, I will buy another mint plant to try my luck.
Welcome back my friend Peishan who seems to have redone her blog, her link was broken a while back btw. Its a nice clean not so dark blog skin... which is good. I havent changed my blogskin for ... 2 years now or more.
I like to keep things simple and easy to read. Its good to blog because you can read back what happened one year ago and reminicence the past.


1 Comments:
never knew you were into grafting! cool!-kq
Post a Comment
<< Home