Altri canti d'Amor
I have been listening to Claudio Monteverdi's works recently, for those of you who do not know who he is, Monteverdi is a early baroque composer. I particularly like this Midrigal because of the polyphony in the first stanza and the way he harmonises the song as a whole. Too bad I cant upload this piece because I cant find a way to do it. Translation of the original is in italics.
Altri canti d'Amor, tenero Arciero,
I dolci vezzi sospirati baci
Narri glisdegni e le bramate paci
Quand'unisce due alme un sol pensiero.
Di Marte furibondo e fiero
I duri incontri e le battaglie audaci
Fo nel mio canto bellicoso e fiero
Strider le spade e bombeggiar le faci.
Let others sing of Love, the tender archer,
of the sweet caresses, the sighing kisses,
let him narrate the quarrels and delightful
making-up when two souls finite in a single
thought.
Of Mars, wild and raging,
of harsh encounters and brave battles,
I make my niartial, fierce song,
of the drawing of swords and flashing
lightning.
Altri canti d'Amor, tenero Arciero,
I dolci vezzi sospirati baci
Narri glisdegni e le bramate paci
Quand'unisce due alme un sol pensiero.
Di Marte furibondo e fiero
I duri incontri e le battaglie audaci
Fo nel mio canto bellicoso e fiero
Strider le spade e bombeggiar le faci.
Let others sing of Love, the tender archer,
of the sweet caresses, the sighing kisses,
let him narrate the quarrels and delightful
making-up when two souls finite in a single
thought.
Of Mars, wild and raging,
of harsh encounters and brave battles,
I make my niartial, fierce song,
of the drawing of swords and flashing
lightning.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home