Comte De Monte Cristo

Here rests the thoughts of an immortal, making of what the world hath thrown at him.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Paris, Island of Monte Cristo, Singapore

"My dear count," cried Morcerf, "you are at fault--you, one of the most formidable logicians I know--and you must see it clearly proved that instead of being an egotist, you are a philanthropist. Ah, you call yourself Oriental, a Levantine, Maltese, Indian, Chinese; your family name is Monte Cristo; Sinbad the Sailor is your baptismal appellation, and yet the first day you set foot in Paris you instinctively display the greatest virtue, or rather the chief defect, of us eccentric Parisians,--that is, you assume the vices you have not, and conceal the virtues you possess."

Monday, March 31, 2008

Book Additions.

Two new books have been added to my lovely shelf.
1) The Social Contract by Jean Jacques Rosseau
2) Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes.

I haven't been reading as much as I like but I shall start very soon. Social contract is a book about how we as people of a state relate to the nation, our leaders and other matters such as laws. I haven't finished the book as its writting in that profound english manner reminiscent of Thomas Hobbes (nearly killed myself there). But anyway it was a french book translated to english.

Flowers for Algernon is a fantastic book about a boy with low IQ that becomes incredibly smart gradually, after a scientific method to enchance his intelligence is discovered. It is written like a diary of sorts by the main character Charlie and provides day to day insights on his life. What I particularly like about the novel is the way it starts out in complete gibberish as Charlie isnt very intelligent and could not use proper grammar, punctuation or spelling. Almost half way into the book he starts to sound like me. And at the end of the book he is back to his old non-intelligent self with gibberish. With the augmentation of intelligence the his character changes as well. Makes me think of the simpler things in life.

Last tuesday I watched Evangelion at the theatres. The theatre had this overwhelming odour to it like partially dried clothes. Well It wasn't particulary packed as I thought it would be. Apparently it started showing some weeks ago and I was in Japan.
Better effects and nice additions to the storyline, will be looking forward to the next 2 episodes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home